Tuesday July 2nd: Dio de los Muertos

Tuesday July 2nd

Students finished their last rotation of the second lesson today. The campers also finished watching the movie "Coco" which tied into their celebration in the afternoon.
Thoughts from the campers in Wisconsin: "Yesterday we had our class with Maggie, and we are going to write our own stories. I think it's a brilliant idea! I like not only to read, but also to write."

"Tuesday we all felt ourselves a part of the Spanish and their culture. And I definitely liked this tradition. We was watching a film, "Coco" about the Day of the Dead. I knew the ending, but anyway, I couldn't control my feelings and started to cry. Fortunately, the end was happy!" 
"Tuesday was an exciting day because we did a lot of different activities. We watched movie, "Coco" that I like because of it's surprising plot!"

In years past, campers would celebrate Halloween, but this year the Americans decided to introduce the holiday of Dio de los Muertos, or The Day of the Dead. Students had four different rotations to visit to learn more about this holiday, from the history, to the making of sugar skulls, the important symbol of butterflies and the ofrendas. Even though the Day of the Dead is not the same as Halloween, by popular demand, students still dressed in costumes and we ended the day with a dance!
"After movie we were listening about Dio de los Muertos, and drawing thing that was important for us. After we go to Alex and Emma, there we color butterfly and wrote peoples who we love. Then we go to Maggie and doing flowers. In Marquita's class we color skulls."

"I liked making butterflies at the state of Hawaii because I didn't think about people that I can't see anymore for a long time. It was very useful."

"Learning about the Day of the Dead was an amazing experience because I knew that there is such a celebration but I never participated there. I learned a lot and made lot of interesting things. And at the end we had dancing it was fun, all costumes were great."

"We had Dio de los Muertos celebration, and I realized that it's my favorite holiday now."

"I was interested in dance time. A lot of people danced, listening old songs and songs from childhood."

"It was a day of happiness"

Class Time:



Lessons in South Carolina were about homonyms. Here are some of the students visual representation of their homonym pairs!




 Dio de los Muertos:











Halloween Costumes and the Dance!:

Our lovely helpers! 


YMCA got the party started







A superhero, Dio de los Muertos participant and an American tourist

The bunny hop!

Comments

Popular Posts