Friday July 5th: Russian/Latvian Day

Friday July 5th

On Friday, along with regular classes, campers and teachers had the special opportunity to learn more about the Russian and Latvian culture. For sing-a-long, the helpers took over and taught the campers and American teachers songs in Latvian and Russian! In the afternoon, teachers along with their homerooms moved through six different stations to learn about different aspects of their culture. The students in Wisconsin were in charge of carrying out the stations and they did a fantastic job! Stations included learning about food in Latvia, playing traditional Latvian games, making wreaths, decorated cows which are the symbol of a Latvian town, and learned about and made seagulls.
Here are some thoughts from Wisconsin, the group that was in charge of the day:
"As Wisconsin is the oldest group we lead the Latvian-American Day. I was at the station of Latgale and I really liked to be a teacher for one day. Also I learned a lot from this experience. For example, some English words and even about our Latvia!"
"I was a little bit nervous, but after second state I wasn't nervous and I really enjoy it."
"I felt a lot of things that Friday. I strongly felt what was my responsibility. We carried out two games. I was happy to have such an opportunity to conduct Zemgale station."
"I enjoyed Russian-Latvian day because I love sharing facts about my own country. I also had a great experience to be as a teacher for our American teachers. So now I know how it is like to lead one lesson several times."
"I told to campers and American teachers about Vidzeme region. It was difficult to learn text, because it was big and a lot of words were new for me. But it was very interesting, so I first time felt like a teacher, therefore it wasn't boring to speak the same text for six times to every group."
"My group was talking about food and this was really interesting even for me, although I was just talking and watching how everything was going on. Actually, I was quite nervous but all kids listened and we didn't have to shout a lot, even thought some kids were active. I also really enjoyed sing-a-long because songs were amazing. They really showed our culture and our beautiful musicians."
"When we start, I thinking that I will be very quiet and can't help with the wreaths, but somehow I tell loud and confidence. Everything was fine, we tell about Suiti and wreathes we did were beautiful."
"My station named Kurzeme. Here we told about Kurzeme landmarks and painted cows with our campers. It was a good experience with communication. I've learned new facts. 


Class Time:





Wisconsin Campers Rocking Their Stations!!:




American Teachers and their homerooms going through Russian/Latvian Day Stations:





















Comments

Popular Posts